Am I a vision of beauty, a scene stealer... what?

men looking back while walkingThere is always this one thing that I hate whenever I visit Davao City, and somehow, I wasn't the only one who has been noticing this: the strangers' heavy stare. I can't remember if ever I had this same experience when I was in other metros in the Philippines... but yes, I guess it is "common" in Davao City.

Yesterday I went to Davao to follow up on my Eon Cyberaccount, which had always given me a headache. I went to a rather old yet still functional mall in Davao, where UnionBank is on the ground floor.

The moment I entered the bank, I already noticed this guy of theirs--a helper, maintenance man, whoever he is--almost always looking at me, although sneakily. I tried not to look back, but still surveying him through peripheral vision. Well I hope I didn't look strange to him. Maybe he needs someone for a Valentine date? Not I...

I met my friend Trece after doing my business in the bank, and went to finally settle in that mall's Jollibee after changing our minds several times as to where shall we dine. And I must credit Jollibee for being more affordable than that of "real" foods in the food court... But there was again that bank guy and even though he was queuing he can't help look back at me at time, which I often ignore and act as if I didn't notice him.

Oh I thought he'd be the only one, but when I was already eating and talking with my friend about her business proposal, I couldn't help but notice one of Jollibee's male crew who kept throwing glances at me, which made me uncomfortable. And again, I kept ignoring it, although my peripheral vision did otherwise.

While I supposed those two guys' activity was all I can have for the day, after going to the mall's restroom and waiting for my friend to come out from the ladies', there's this another guy who just came in to the mall, with his teddy bear of a son or a daughter (can't remember) in his one hand. Our eyes met for a split second, as I averted my stare immediately (I always do this, I don't like to keep my stare longer than two seconds). I busied and diverted myself to facing a mirror in the center post, checking myself. That father of a man already had passed by me around ten to fifteen steps and I tried to investigate him at that, only to know that he looked back at me...

I shared all this to my friend, that this is not the first time it happened to me and that I am not the one who noticed that, but most "social" people in Davao have this peculiar behavior to be staring at strangers for so long that it makes you uneasy and think like "Am I a vision of beauty, did I steal a scene, do I have something funny in my face, or what?"

How odd, these Dabawenyos are...

Photo by Kool Skatkat.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Related Posts



10 comments Links to this post

Pinay WAHM said...

Hi Zang,

The answer to your question is:

Anofa eh di'a vision of beauty' which in effect would result to being a scene stealer...haha.

That happens everywhere...I guess it's human nature to be curious, eh?

Anyway, just passing by here to check on you...hehe....

Juliana

joanjoyce said...

wow head turner bakit naman puro lalaki yan? :D

nga pala ano ba ulit link nung sa EON online? thankies..

Zang said...

@ juliana - but their stares are rather so heavy and frequent.. i mean the natural is only to stare or glance at a person not longer than 2 seconds...

@ joanjoyce - nagtanong pa, eh I'm gay. haha... www.unionbankph.com

joanjoyce said...

hehehe asus kaya pala mga boys lang napapansin mo hehehe salamat sa link try ko yan bukas o kahit now ba pwede? hehe ginawa ko na yung tag mo sa akin ha, ewan ko lang kung korek :D

Pinay WAHM said...

Aha...so they were really staring. If you can't beat them, join them. Titigan mo rin sila. I remember doing that when I was in college. I was on the LRT galing probinsya papunta ng dorm...ang lola mo kasi ayaw mag shoes so naka flip flops ako lagi..as in rubber flip flops. Aba ako eh tinitingnan nung nasa harapan ko...eh di titigan ko din sya...guess who gave up. Clue. NOT ME! hahaha...

Anyway, just making light of the situation.

Have a great week ahead!

Juliana

joanjoyce said...

hehe mag blog ka na wag ka na tamadin jan :P

Zang said...

@ joanjoyce - di mo dinagdagan ang items eh. hehe. cge na nga lang...

@ juliana - di ako type na tumititig eh. it's rude to stare, i believe. bahala cla kung titigan nila ako. i won't throw them the same.

@ joanjoyce - sana nga eh magkainterest uli magblog

liza said...

Baka naman nagwapuhan lang sila sa yo hehe. I have not been to Davao, but I'd love to visit someday, at sana hindi na sila ganyan pag punta ko jan hahaha.

Take care.

Robert Di-Salvo said...

Zang this goes on all the time where I live in Boca Raton, Florida.. Welcome to the pretentious side of human nature.. people are not staring you down.. What they are looking for is recognition.. This is something I could go on about for hours..

Zang Caesar said...

@ liza - tapatan mo nlang pag gaganyanin ka nila

@ robert - i didn't know that

My Die-hard Fans

Extras

Visitor Count


Page Views since September 4, 2007
Hit Counter