Clash 003: GMA or ABS-CBN?


abs-cbn logogma network logoNot many months ago ABS-CBN filed a civil case against AGB Nielsen Research Media Philippines after a testimony of TV ratings cheating broke out from a Bacolodian man, confessing that he was one of those who worked for GMA to visit the houses installed with the panel monitors and tell home viewers to switch channels and stay tuned to GMA.

Of course this has created a violent stir between the three companies involved: ABS-CBN, GMA, and AGB Nielsen. The issue has become rather intense and got confused over time, resulting to more charges and complaints.

ABS-CBN filed a civil case of Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against AGB to stop releasing results of the TV ratings until the process of collecting data is made clear, accurate and reliable, but this has been already dismissed by regional trial court. When AGB still pursued on the release of the result, ABS-CBN filed contempt of court against AGB. But now AGB hits back the same case because of airing news which are allegedly spliced off of the truth behind the latest filed case.

GMA Network also filed libel against ABS-CBN, for having mentioned GMA as the culprit of the rating cheating. ABS-CBN based their claim on AGB Nielsen general manager's statement upon their interview, which she, Maya Reforma, spoke of GMA being the station involved in the irregularities.

One time when I passed by GMA as I was cruising through channels I got alarmed by their filing of libel against ABS-CBN because I knew that ABS-CBN did not at all dragged GMA name into the cheating without having a basis, which is of course Maya Reforma's statement, the very thing that crossed my mind in a space of a heartbeat when I saw GMA taking its action.

I know I may be partial in this article but I would just like to share my opinion; this is my blog, after all. I can say all I want. GMA's claim that ABS-CBN's mention of their network was due to misinterpretation and splicing off of Maya Reforma's statement sounds illogical to me. GMA's first airing of their statement on filing libel against ABS-CBN really got my brows raised, as I believe ABS did have basis, which is again ABG Nielsen general manager's statement.

The coming of more witness after all is making things way clearer than it had been, and truth shall prevail and in the end we will see who really works for their integrity in the most honest way. I despise GMA for these recent happening, and I revel in on the fact that the witnesses are making the fight of ABS-CBN for truth stronger and more glorious. I never really have developed love for GMA. I hate to think that every time I drop by their channel to do a quick glance when it's time for commercial at ABS-CBN I don't know most of their artists. They look so alien to me that my sister hate me for frequently asking her who's that and who're those. GMA just doesn't shine here in Davao, and there's only one show I watch in them, Pokemon, although I am missing a lot of it now as I wake up very late because of my night blogging.

Last but not the least, call me conclusive and pejorative, but I abhor GMA for its dirty game.

Related Posts



18 comments Links to this post

maline said...

I think the issue is pathetic in the sense, that people are bickering over it. I just read people's comments at PEP website about the issue, and I am so disappointed with lots of them, below the belt ang awayan ng kapuso and kapamilya and I don't know why the moderators there don't delete comments with words such as, bobo,ugaling squatter and so on.
Hay, all i want is the truth. kapamilya man o kapuso, hopefully more people will be matured enough. diba?

Zang said...

that's what i hate about PEP too. the moderators don't seem to "moderate" the comments.

joanjoyce said...

you lack info zang that is why you are more into ABS than GMA. but the issue is supposed to be in court but the bruhaha over the credible or not witnesses are still running over ABS, but FYI the accusation was done by ABS through writing AGB on a petition, and thats what ms reforma answers during the ambush interview, that wat if GMA really cheats? but obviously the interview was cut into just, the homes were exposed then its cheating on part of GMA, where in the real interview its a what if answer on their petition. GMA is not claiming to be number 1 in VISMIN, so I am sure you hardly watch them. I hope i make sense and its obvious i am a kapuso lol and my daughter loves pokemon too :)

Zang said...

wahaha. i saw this coming, that is why i wrote this article on partiality and based solely on my opinion and understanding, because the way i put it as that i know there would be many reactions, especially that most of the Filipino bloggers come from Manila and I am certain most of them love GMA. i expect there'd be more reactions coming, or so I hope.

Gian Paolo said...

If, indeed, that was Ms. Reforma's complete statement, then why does the lawyer of AGB say otherwise? Ang weird di ba? Well, obviously, I am a Kapuso, and I love Pokemon, too. ^^

Zang said...

well i guess, the conclusion here, and obviously we all boil down to it, is WE LOVE POKEMON. Hahaha

Gian Paolo said...

Go Pokemon! hahahaha.

Zang said...

hahaha! you don't know how crazy I am over Pokemon. i slept very late at nights just to play the game; from Pokemon Yellow, Blue and Red to Diamond and Pearl. Oops, and that all thru emulator. haha. i know it's illegal...

admit it; we men want to look and feel good too. said...

here in saudi, whenever the topic is brought before the table, i always make a short intro by saying that i sure hope we don't waste our time talking about issue we don't get real benefit from. i recently participated in the IPO of GMA. this is the reason why i would fight for GMA. i am protecting my interest in the company. i tell them that i hope we have the same level of interest should we pursue the discussion; otherwise, we leave the legal discussion to the legal department, lest we just make a fool out ourselves by relying on seemingly conflicting selfish fed info.

fyi, GMA does not show pokemon here. otherwise, i would have been addicted watching it too.

gallant said...

So sad... how can you expect a country to be united when even the stations are so squabbling over such petty issues...

Quasi said...

I too posted a perspective on this and can be located here:

GMA vs. Separating Filipinos
http://cmaquest.blogspot.com/2008/01/abs-cbn-vs-gma-separating-filipinos.html

in addition to my post if you happen to pass by (and drop sentiments in it). GMA and ABS CBN can be labelled hypocrites and warmongers. Sorry for loyal viewers but it is a fact. They broadcast themselves as peace loving with "uniting the Filipinos" stations but look at what they are doing now. Allegations counter allegations. If there is a cheat, then why don't they settle that by themselves and not by publicizing and making it a concern everyone must take part. Kapusos and Kapamilyas, as I've seen through the forums have almost figuratively wanted to kill the opposing side. Is that service to the Filipino Worlwide? nagiging Makulay ba ang Buhay?

~ Chris A
http://cmaquest.blogspot.com
http://tnwae.blogspot.com

Zang said...

@ admit it... - i respect your support for GMA. and why is Pokemon not shown in Saudi? do they alter the show schedule there?

@ gallant - we cannot deny the fact that Filipinos have in their blood this undying "crab mentality", the opposite of "bayanihan", which has somehow been forgotten over time.

@ quasi - i like your point. they keep talking about "integrity" and love for their audience. i hope this all will end well.

Cecil said...

i don't watch GMA shows and never will be. the only time i came across their channel was when i'm on public transpo and the tv was on them. why do they always have to explain everything on their station? are they being defensive? i'm sick and tired of their tirades against ABS it's just so annoying!

Zang said...

well i really don't like GMA ever since.

creatine said...

I am also tired of ABS CBN's tirades against GMA. The best thing is for leave it to the courts. Its not a big issue whether you watch GMA 7 shows its your prerogative. You can even close your eyes when you're in a public transpo.GMA has proven its worth in the market this is proven by how much they earn in the past years. Simply put..advertisers believe in the network and so do alot of people.

Caesar said...

i know it's the viewers' choice to what to watch. but it isn't simply a revelation, all these witnesses showing up? oh, their number keeps growing. and I am a sucker for truth. I'd like to know how dirtier GMA can play the game. as what one informant said, "kapag mahuli or may makaalam sa operasyon namin, sabi ng GMA ideny nlang". and that's what GMA is exactly doing now.

and as for the advertisers, of course, it is not easy to sever their ties with GMA, especially because they have trusted it (blindly wrongly) for years. they were fooled by all those ratings, which GMA manipulated. and because only GMA and ABS-CBN are the only two big networks (there are the others but i rather think they are "small time"), of course it is wise to advertise on these two sites, no matter who's number one or two.

i guess the issue here, in regards to advertisers, is not about where to place their ads per se but where to put their ads in a way that it will be more seen and appreciated by more people thru a larger audience. and that's where the ratings come, and sadly AGB's reputation is already tarnished.

Anonymous said...

I am from Mindanao and I only trust the news report of the Kapuso station. I have first hand information on how ABS CBN can "create" stories just to have their scoop. There was a time that they organized a rally against the balikatan just so they will have a story. The rally participants were paid.. by who else? the ABS CBN reporter..

Zang said...

i'm not sure if i am to believe that, as jnow is the only time i have heard of that.

My Die-hard Fans

Extras

Visitor Count


Page Views since September 4, 2007
Hit Counter