Things I will always hate about big cities (or Davao City, that is)

davao city top view(Photo from BT Niko of Flickr)

I grew up in a place where life is pleasantly simple, where the usual still gives an everyday surprise. In fact, it was not until I was eleven—and two months before my twelfth birthday—that the municipality where I dwell officially became a city.

In the Philippines, a city does not necessarily mean like those in big countries such as America. There are only few cities in my country which by their names alone are already “big time”, and famous...

Not with my city, though.

Tagum City is in fact most Filipinos do not know what it is and where it is located. Simply put, a negligible name. But taking aside the home-sweet-home factor, my city is where actually the essences of rural and urban living meet at its best.

When I moved to Davao City for my review classes in preparation for the Nurse Licensure Exam I had to drastically adapt its way of life. Living in a bigger city (or the biggest city in the Philippines and the largest in the whole world, in area that is) has its tolls on me, which I will always hate all my life.

1. GRIDLOCK. I hate to sit for a long time in a vehicle waiting for the dense traffic to progress on. When I say “hit the road” I don't mean “heat along the road” and for me time is always gold.

2. SMOKES. Although Davao City has banned smoking in public places, some public utility vehicles emit black, noxious gases which often leave me panting for air whenever I accidentally inhaled them.

3. DUST. You cannot just imagine how dusty you can get when you're strolling or traveling all day. When you comb or brush your hair it leaves your tool blackened on the gaps, and when you get home and start cleaning off your nostrils you get snots as black as asphalt. Ew.

4. HEAT. The number of trees present is always a compromise in almost every big city. The seemingly lack of trees for shade and comfort just makes the environment any hotter you want to stay all day in a centralized building or simply stay at home.

5. DIRECTION. It's easy to get lost once you're in a totally big city. Thrice I've experienced that; your sense of direction really will fail at times it'll take a lot of getting used to. Practical as I am I don't hail taxis too often but the jeepneys. I am not used to ride in vehicles that go on routes as in our city you just hail a vehicle and you'll be taken to your destination once the driver agrees.

6. NUMBER OF PEOPLE. Everyday you meet a great lot of different faces; some charming, some grouchy, some snobbish, and some more just seem to be too busy, looking so serious and harried as if they carry the whole world and its problems on their shoulders. What is sad is that among this multitude of people bustling along the walks you only know a few and sometimes none even.

7. STARES. What I hate more than the rest is the way strangers stare at you. I mean, yes, they bustle up fast and sometimes they just don't care who they have passed by and yet they stare like it's going to pierce you through like a lancet that you can size up you may have been one piece of an oddball rolling or a delectable piece of cake perhaps—whatever those stares mean! It's rude to stare, isn't it?

8. SOCIAL CLIMBERS. In Davao City, there are a lot of these, acting like they own the place and that they are completely superior. If only I knew...

There are these things that I so hate about big cities (as these are not only in Davao but I'm sure as well as in other big cities in the country) but also there are those that I love. And to redeem Davao City from this seemingly negative evaluation of mine of the place, I will be posting soon about what I love in Davao. Watch out for it; it might convince you to come visit it.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Related Posts



5 comments Links to this post

JIMG29 said...

Tagum City...hhmmm...now it's OUT for the world to see!

pietrojaldon said...

This is what i can say about your article:

1. Taga bukid ka lang talaga, kaya di ka naka adapt sa davao city, which, isn't even really a BIG city.

2. Tagum city is shit! it's ghost town to most Davaowenyos.

3. There's nothing to see at all. In Davao we have everything we need and more.

4. a red line appears under Tagum every time i type it! try typing Davao with a capital D and check if it turns red!

5. tagum is shit! wait, i think i said that already.

Zang Caesar said...

@ pietrojaldon - well that is your opinion and this article is of my opinion. we all have our hates and likes. i have gone to many other cities and despite the seemingly short stay I still enjoyed the time, better than I did in Davao. But there are a lot of factors to consider, though. And I guess you still haven't checked the follow-up article, which I mentioned about in the last paragraph.

Btw, isn't Davao City a really BIG city? Judging from your tone, you may be from Davao City itself, and it's a shame you don't consider it as a BIG city, when in fact almost every geography-lovers in the world knows it's the biggest or second biggest city in terms of land area.

Lizz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizz said...

Your article is interesting. When I moved to Davao City, I had a hard time adapting to the quiet, laid-back culture. Prior to that, I lived in Quezon City. Night time begins at 9pm and ends at 4am. You can easily visit government offices, universities, malls... you name it. Ortigas, Katipunan, Bonifacio Global... these are well known hang-out places. Yes, it is heavily polluted, extremely expensive to live in, has hell-like traffic. But Metro Manila will always be home to me. That's why when I moved to Davao I was literally crying (haha!) because of culture shock. But Davao is a good city on it's own. Same with Tagum. I think it really depends on what we're actually looking for in a city that makes it "good" or "bad".

My Die-hard Fans

Extras

Visitor Count


Page Views since September 4, 2007
Hit Counter