You Don't Miss Your School

st. mary's collegeIn my September 15 post entitled “They Say… I Daresay” I retorted to the classic adage “You never miss the water until it’s gone” with a drolly “you do miss the water when you thirst,” and I firmly stick to that. But I think I have changed my mind with my retaliation of you-don’t-know-what’s-gone-till-you-seek-it remark to the alternative “You don’t know what you got till it’s gone” as I am not actually seeking something but I am fairly missing it.

It has been around six months since I took my final, glorious walk at the Mother Ignacia Multi-Purpose Hall, reaping finally the sweet fruits of the grueling labors of my four years in the Nursing course. Just like for everyone, it really is a relief to have finally graduated, and it is a bonus to be recognized as a Latin awardee, which I definitely did not expect but actually prayed for it. (Well I believe I’m up to scratch anyway.)

Although I hated many things about school before—waking up early, preparing for long quizzes and mind-boggling exams, dealing with the mediocrity of some incompetent teachers, envying some schoolmates’ latest, cool stuffs, reporting on night shifts at the hospitals in and out of town, cramming for a project or two’s deadline, etcetera—there are still those delightful moments that are truly worth reminiscing… not that I will enumerate them.

And now that my formal education has been completed, I can only look back to the days where I wished I were already through with my schooling; when I was in my first grade I wished there was a genie to send me straight me to a mature age where I already worked. And yes, I am almost close to that, but somehow there is a desire in me to be young again, where life is innocent, pure and totally fun. But life, I know, has to move on, and I am quite sure that I am not alone with the wishing. You actually wished for the same when you were younger, didn’t you?

We feel nostalgia at times when we are most alone. The only cure for nostalgia is looking back to it, and not going back to it for life is like a downward stream; it can only straightforwardly glide down as a cascading fall and not render an uphill climb. It is irreversible. And it is but human nature to long for the past because it is an incovetable treasure, very much like knowledge.

And our knowledge, most of it, is developed at school, where we not only learn to be wiser by merely poring over the textbooks but also by sharing intimately our life with others. That is why we undeniably yearn for some things that etched significant memories in our very hearts.

Well we do miss our school at times, don’t we? It’s our Alma Mater after all, our second mother.

Related Posts



0 comments Links to this post

My Die-hard Fans

Extras

Visitor Count


Page Views since September 4, 2007
Hit Counter